The walnut-sized prostate gland that sits between the bladder and penis is part of the male reproductive system. It helps control the flow of urine and secrets fluids that transport sperm. According to Harvard Medical School, prostatitis is an all-too-common genitourinary condition that afflicts men of all ages. Inflammation, swelling, and irritation of the prostate account for about 1.8 million doctor visits in the United States each year.
Understanding This Painful Condition
As a low-grade or recurrent prostate infection, chronic bacterial prostatitis (CBP) causes recurrent urinary tract infections (UTIs) in men. Typically, the same strain of bacteria in prostatic fluid and urine will cause an infection to persist or recur. Bacterial infectious agents invade the prostate in two main ways. Bacteria from a previous urethral infection move through prostatic ducts into the prostate, causing a retrograde infection. Or movement of infected urine into the glandular prostate tissue causes an antegrade infection via the ejaculatory ducts.
Symptoms include urinary frequency and urgency (often at night), burning or painful and difficult urination and ejaculation, pain in the genital area and lower back, sexual dysfunction, chills, low-grade fever, joint pain, muscles aches, and fatigue. A physical examination may reveal urethral discharge and tender testes. Your doctor can make a definitive CBP diagnosis if bacteria and white blood cells (that occur with inflammation) are present in your urine. Luckily, this unwelcome condition is treatable.
Antibiotic Medications Are the CBP Standard of Care
Oral antimicrobial agents are the mainstay in the treatment of chronic bacterial prostatitis. Fluoroquinolones including Levaquin (Levofloxacin) are among the most effective medications. These antibiotics alleviate the pain and inconvenience of chronic bacterial prostatitis due to Escherichia coli (E. coli), Enterococcus faecalis (E. faecalis), or methicillin-susceptible Staphylococcus epidermidis (S. epidermidis). Save money on all your prescriptions by ordering from a Canadian pharmacy.
Levaquin (Levofloxacin) advantages include:
- Convenient once-daily dosing
- Rapid bactericidal effect with broad-spectrum activity
- Better safety and tolerability: one of the least likely fluoroquinolones to cause any cardiovascular effects, central nervous system disturbances, and phototoxicity
- Less significant drug interactions than other fluoroquinolones
- Relatively low emergence of resistant organisms
- Expanded gram-positive spectrum of activity
- Better anaerobic activity than most quinolones
- Excellent bioavailability
- May be good choices for liver disease patients when other fluoroquinolones are contraindicated
Trial Reports High Levofloxacin Bacterial Clearance
A multicenter trial found that 500 milligrams of Levofloxacin once daily achieved a bacterial clearance rate of 86.06 percent one to four weeks after the end of the four-week treatment. The clinical efficacy including clinical cure and improvement was 93.30 percent.
Microbiological confirmation tests diagnosed 408 of the study’s 471 participants with chronic bacterial prostatitis. Clinical symptoms included burning or painful urination and discomfort or pain in the perineal area between the scrotum and anus. E coli and Staphylococcus aureus were the most common bacteria. The microbiological recurrence rate was just 4 percent, and subjects had a low rate of adverse events.
Study Finds Levaquin Therapy Effective
Another multicenter study measured Levaquin treatment effectiveness for chronic bacterial prostatitis. Overall eradication rates for pathogens of interest were 93.3 percent for E coli, 72.2 percent for E. faecalis, and 81.8 percent for S. epidermidis. This rate for S. epidermidis with other co-pathogens was consistent with rates in pure isolates.
Adult patients with clinical prostatitis diagnoses also tested positive on one of two tests: microbiological culture results from urine samples after prostatic massage (VB3) or expressed prostatic secretion (EPS) specimens obtained via the Meares-Stamey procedure. Of the 136 subjects, 125 were microbiologically evaluable. They received 500 milligrams of Levaquin once daily for a total of 28 days. The primary efficacy endpoint was microbiologic efficacy in microbiologically evaluable patients.
The microbiologic eradication rate by patient infection and the clinical success (cure + improvement with no need for further antibiotic therapy) rate in the microbiologically evaluable population at 5-18 days after completing Levaquin therapy was 75 percent. Clinical long-term success (24-45 days after completion of therapy) rate was 66.7 percent.
At-Home Self-Care Practices Support Treatment
Chronic bacterial prostatitis is a challenging condition that affects patients differently. Some respond to various lifestyle approaches. Encourage your medication to work even better by trying some of these modifications to determine which ones help relieve your symptoms best.
- Urinate often, emptying your bladder completely.
- Consume eight to 10 glasses of water daily to increase the urination process, clearing the inflamed prostate and improving its health.
- Soak in warm sitz baths to relieve pain.
- Sit on a pillow or cushion to reduce discomfort.
- Avoid bicycling, horseback riding, and other activities that put pressure on your groin.
- Reduce congestion in your prostate by ejaculating more frequently or massaging your prostate regularly.
Helpful beverages and foods:
- Limit or eliminate caffeine, alcohol, and spicy foods to reduce bladder and prostate irritation.
- Combine carrot and spinach juices to regulate the circulation that reduces swelling in your affected tissues. Mix spinach and beetroot juices to minimize the effects of prostate inflammation.
- Eat tomatoes to strengthen your prostate. They contain lycopene, a carotenoid pigment that can improve the health of this gland and act against aging.
- Enjoy red grapes and red berries to increase your lycopene intake, which is important for proper maintenance of your prostate gland. This antioxidant may help protect cells from damage and ease prostatitis discomfort.